Senior User Centred Designer
User Centred Design lies at the heart of PDR’s activities, central to many of its commercial and research based activities. The role is focussed leading and managing key consultancy activities within PDR.
What you'll do - key duties
- Undertake full project management responsibility for UCD projects from user, market and technical research through to planning, design, prototype, test and iteration of projects into design solutions as directed by the Senior User Centred Design Consultant and Associate Design Director.
- Deputise for the Senior User Centred Design Consultant in reporting and oversight of UCD activity to the Associate Design Director.
- Contribute and partake in client liaison and business development of UCD commercial activity including marketing and promotional work within locations in the UK and offshore. This may include presenting research and design process outcomes externally, to clients and/or at industry events incl; exhibitions, public speaking and seminar / conference presentation, and, workshop facilitation as required.
- Lead technical and project research activities in areas including visual language and semantics exploration, user insight and interpretation, sector and design trends and the presentation and support of such work to the design team and commercial clients as appropriate.
- Lead the review and selection of appropriate research methods (including qualitative and quantitative UCD related research methods) and tailoring these to project needs.
- Meeting clients, typically at senior management level to identify commercial project needs and to construct costed commercially viable and client ready work proposals and quotations.
- To develop a strong working relationship with current and prospective future commercial clients at a senior level and ensure effective client liaison, budget management, and, the completion of project deliverables to agreed timescales is continually adhered to.
- Ability to oversee and manage subcontractors and suppliers as required within a projects development, including the placement of major orders with third parties and the subsequent management of chosen suppliers to ensure delivery and quality levels are maintained.
- Manage multiple industrial design projects at any one time and manage time and management of resources effectively with support from the Senior User Centred Design Consultant and Associate Design Director including individual consultancy project budget management.
- Maintain and adhere to ISO 9001 procedures within PDR.
- Other duties that may be reasonably assigned.
What you’ll bring – essential experience & strengths
- Knowledge and experience of designing and moderating usability tests for products or interfaces.
- Knowledge and experience in industrial / product design in a commercial environment
- Ability to write and present complex subject matter
- Experience in planning and executing usability studies and related user insight research
- Experience of writing and presenting complex technical and design based issues at a senior level
- Experience working in a commercial design environment
- Experience in visual language and semantics exploration, user insight and interpretation, sector and design trends.
- Experience working alongside other disciplines including product design, interaction design, and service design.
- Experience in direct client communication and presentation of user centred designs.
- Experience in planning and writing commercially viable and client ready work proposals and quotations.
What you’ll have - essential qualifications
Degree in Product / Industrial Design, Usability Engineering, Interaction Design or related subject
For further details view the full job description and person specification.
Our total reward package
- We have a range of great benefits for employees including:
Annual leave of 25 days, rising to 30 days after 1 years’ service, plus 12 bank holiday / concessionary days
- Membership of the Local Government Pension Scheme with generous contributions
- Flexible and remote working opportunities
- Award winning sports and fitness facilities with subsidised membership, plus subsidised physiotherapy/complementary therapy/sports massage
- Access to all library facilities
- Salary sacrifice schemes including cycle to work
How to apply
If you would like to talk with us about this opportunity please contact Professional Technical at firstname.lastname@example.org or click the 'Apply' button.
Should a high volume of applications be received, we may need to close this vacancy early. We therefore encourage you to apply as early as possible.
We are committed to supporting and promoting equality and diversity and to creating an inclusive working environment. Our Strategic Plan underpins our commitment to recruit and retain the best talent and we welcome applications from people from diverse backgrounds. We appoint on merit.